Thursday 30 July 2009

You're the bookish type, aren't you?

It's official. I'm writing my first novel.

Now, before you click on Ebay to buy me the prosthetic nose that Nicole Kidman wore in The Hours, let me set the record straight:I'm not aiming for high art, this is going to be more of the chick-lit/book-for-the-beach type rather than a candidate for the Man Booker Prize.

More Bradshaw than Atwood.

I'm planning to call it As the Actress Said to the Bishop and it'll be partly based on this blog - but with loads of other stuff thrown in for good measure.

I don't know about you but when I think of writers, I always picture them writing away in the garden shed, or at some fancy desk. The point is, writing is meant to be a lonely task. The challenge I've got is that in order to gather material, I need to be out and about and interact with people.

I'm starting off with a bang: attending a casting workshop followed by a play at Soho Theatre with Paula Wilcox and drinks after! There's Glyndebourne later on this month and fly fishing in early September but I don't think that's going to be enough. So, must fill up the diary between now and then.

And then on to the fun stuff: finding a literary agent, talking to publishers, and getting it on the shelves in time for next summer!

No comments: